So, Apparently bieng more stupid makes you more money?

Got something you just have to let out before your head explodes? Do it here

So, Apparently bieng more stupid makes you more money?

Postby 307Safari » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:16 pm

I know I know, maybe a lot of places people work are like this, but I just need to get this off of my chest before my head explodes like a pizza pocket set to microwave for an hour.

A little background. I work at an MDF moulding plant here in town. We take sheets of MDF board, and turn it into indoor house trim and moulding. And we work damn hard to do it.

So, on to the root cause of my possible explosion. My production manager. Completely senseless idiot to put it nicely. Basically has put the plant into a complete mess, thinking we're all idiots and don't know anything about what we are doing. He is so strong in his opinion he seems to enjoy voicing it very loudly and crudely to completely innocent people in the plant. On several occasions, and he likes to do it while his boss, the district manager, isn't there. Come on, were just doing our fucking jobs, no, we aren't useless cunts, and yes, we do know what we are doing, do you asshole? Didn't think so.

Today barely any management was here, and because he felt he should take over for everyone that wasn't here he basically **** on everyone's day. I worked on the prime line, we run a machine that puts two sanded coats of primer on the board after it's moulded. Our schedule was fine, written up by our supervisor last night before he left. Our production manager thought he could do better and managed to **** everything up, so we ended up with boards to run, and set ups that we had to change every single thing on the machine line to run each time. And it only took us an hour and a half to go through each bloody order today. Not to mention my 2 good friends of mine that works in the plant gets **** on by this guy every day. Even after he sent in a formal complaint about the guy to the regional manager. Is that right? Not to mention he has the whole plant wanting to leave just to get out of this fucking mess. I am sick of stupid "Standard Operating Procedures" popping up everywhere, sick of bieng told we should take 3 months to train a new guy when he is already trained in 2 weeks, sick of bieng told we are getting raises when we aren't, sick of even more false promises on top of that, and sick of this guy just plain shitting on our whole damn parade.

UGH, so 12 agonizing hours later, I am done my shift. Wondering if it's even worth the agony of making a bit more money for my paycheck to put up with this **** every fucking day to come. The worst part is, is that he can be a good guy, I have talked to him when I can. But, the other 90% percent of him can go rot in hell. And he's the only guy I have a problem with in that plant. Everyone else there is absolutely amazing to work with, they're the reason I still go every day.

*Sigh*

Sorry for all the language, and for the story, but I need an outside opinion if you can read through all of that. In the meantime, I'm gonna grab a beer, relax, and get ready for one more day of BS until the weekend is finally here. Night y'all!
| 1987 Pontiac Parisienne Safari Wagon | Pearl White | Canadian built |
307 Oldsmobile w/M4MC Q Jet
Built TH350
Grease monkey stains on outside optional....
307Safari

Postby theholycow » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:33 am

Sure sounds like a jerkwad!

So someone higher than him set a schedule, he disobeyed the schedule, and production slowed as a result? If nothing else that should be a pretty strong, numbers-based way to show how effective he is. Even if the higher-ups don't care about people (and it sounds like they DO care), they'll care about profit.
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby Deathdeelr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Sounds like the problem is above your pay grade. As a supervisor in a fleet shop I can tell you the best way to screw the guy is to do exactly as your told. I was once a hot head thinking I knew best. It took me about 3 years in the seat before I wised up and realized we're all men and you can get blood from a stone but only if your crew wants to. Once I realized that the place basically runs itself so long as you don't make waves the only thing I had to do to keep everyone happy (more or less) is make sure the place doesn't burn to the ground and to police the stragglers. If the guy changes the SOP on a daily basis then no matter how it hurts, keep your mouth shut and go with it. When the numbers fall, when it takes 2 hours to reset the line and rearrange the machines, this guy will be to blame. There isn't a company in the world that will blame the bottom guy if a supervisor or manager blatently changes SOP on a whim and it affects the production of a facility. This guy will either wake up and do the right thing or he'll get removed. Trust me, I've seen it. Unfortunately it might take a while but it will happen. Relax, do exactly as your told, and watch the mayhem ensue. GOOSEFRABBA BABY!! Anger Management with Adam Sandler and Jack Nickolson is a must see.
Me hid big dings wid da hamma.
ASE Certified Master Tech
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3311846
Deathdeelr
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 307Safari » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Things have gone on a little upswing lately, and I've just been doing my job, keeping my nose out of it. Not too much differently than an average day, lol. It's just hard to see it happening all around me and still keep going.

The really big upswing was when I found out yesterday that there is no upper management for the whole week this week apparently. Things are running smoothly and everyone in the plant is noticeably happier. I'm just gonna keep thinking to myself that this is gonna last longer than a week :P.

Hopefully things will work themselves out, someone's gonna notice the **** once it really starts to stink.

Thanks for the good advice guys, I will read and heed ;). Later!
| 1987 Pontiac Parisienne Safari Wagon | Pearl White | Canadian built |
307 Oldsmobile w/M4MC Q Jet
Built TH350
Grease monkey stains on outside optional....
307Safari

Re: So, Apparently bieng more stupid makes you more money?

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:13 am

Hang in there, I know it's tuff at times the guy keeps it up he will fire himself. I am a machine shop supervisor, I started my career in 1997 as a CNC machinist, and a supervisor in 2006, I've seen it all I think at times, guys you want to choke out or slap the taste out of their mouths or just throw down on them and beat the hair off their head, but I can't, if I want to have a good job and provide for my family. I don't want to start a rant about religion but I've found and have Christ in my life now and it's so much better now, but that's my choice as well as yours. You will always have folks in your life like that to push your buttons, just have to be the better man and ignore them as much as possible, do as asked on the job site, I have to do a lot of things i don't like. By upper management right now the supervisors have to write down everything we do for eight hours, 30 minute increments it's annoying when your very busy. We have a new general manager that's changing a lot of things and a lot of new rules some good and some not so much, our company needs some new changes to be more productive and safer in my opinion. Our workforce system in the US is getting to uppity, they want colledge grads to run a place, but has no idea and no experince on how to do so and won't listen to "the little man". It takes on the job training for years and listining to your operators to do so, all the answers are not in the book. I only have a highschool diploma, now an operator must be in school, have a machinist certificate, or years of experience to be hired where I work now, no more good ole days of knowing someone to get a job. I had no experience when I started, took me 3 years to fully understand how to operate a cnc machine without any help, a couple years later my boss at the time told me I was his best operator. Maybe our situations will work themselves out, be cool, level headed, and safe man!
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Return to Venting