The 1987 Safari Wagon thread

Non-specific B-body discussion

The 1987 Safari Wagon thread

Postby 307Safari » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:28 pm

So, now that you've met me on this forum, I do believe you all should meet the method behind the madness. Looks aren't worth crap at this point, and so far I've only taken pictures of it on a rainy day. Keep in mind this is only the beginning.

She's all original, and the only spots of rust are pitted along the bottom of the passenger and driver doors. There's a bit in the door sills, but that's about it. 240,000 kms and still kickin'.

Next up is a transmission, Get the sounds system all settled, and get the 307 to scream a little under hard throttle. Maybe I'll get into the suspension before the spring, we shall see.
| 1987 Pontiac Parisienne Safari Wagon | Pearl White | Canadian built |
307 Oldsmobile w/M4MC Q Jet
Built TH350
Grease monkey stains on outside optional....
307Safari

Postby NotDadsW41 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Good looking starting point!
CD Smalley
Site Owner/Admin
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1997 C1500

"No sacrifice or service of mine requires any other reward than that which conscience gives to every man who does his duty" - Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
NotDadsW41
Site Admin

Postby rabidmadman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:55 am

Looks pretty good to me...good call on removing the wood grain.
Active:
1989 9c1 Chevrolet Caprice || L05 || 159,200 mi

Pseudo Retired:
1990 9c1 Chevrolet Caprice || L05 || 292,585 mi

Sold:
1988 Chevy Caprice Classic || LG4 || Sold 9/25/2010 with 135, 558 mi

rabidmadman
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 307Safari » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Actually, this is how I purchased it. But I still have all the trim for the woodgrain, which will soon be flat black and reinstalled.

My current to do list:
-Refresh the quadrajet, and tune it
-Tune up the ignition
-Replace the transmission(something rebuilt and shift kitted)
-Install winter tires
-Clean up, paint, and mount tires to the 15x9 rims I picked up.
-Grab some poly bushings for the suspension, and install 2/3 drop coils
-Clean up the body
-Repaint the bad spots and the brown overspray(stupid woodgrain)
-Rustproof the hell out of it

And that should keep me happy until next fall when I'm going to want more power to the ground.
Built TH350
307Safari

Postby rabidmadman » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I was given this advice for my 88 and I'll suggest it to you as well. Rather than rebuilding the quadrajet, I'd recommend that you swap it out with an M4ME carburater from the same generation. They do not have the TPS or MCS and IMHO will make you much happier since you will be able to put on a vacuum advance distributor and bypass the ECM. My experience with the E4M series carburetor/ignition was not great....
Active:

Pseudo Retired:

Sold:

rabidmadman
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 307Safari » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Funny story, because this is a Canadian car, it already has the m4ec in it. Confirmed that when I took it in for the safety last weekend :D .

Canadian emission regulations seemed to be a lot more lenient at the time. I don't even have an air pump. This car was built about 20 min south of my parents place in Oshawa, ON.

It's actually my second fling with an oshawa built vehicle, and I must say, they knew what they were doing. My 93 sierra was tougher than nails.

At the risk of getting beat up by a forum full of US people......

OH CANADA!

:lol:
Built TH350
307Safari

Postby theholycow » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:14 am

307Safari wrote:I don't even have an air pump.

But you do have a cat, right? I've got a guy on another forum telling me that my removed air pump will result in my cat clogging up.

As for the Canadialand thing...my 2002 Sierra, which I'm pretty sure was built in the frozen north, is pretty damn tough too. It doesn't even have square wheels. Good stuff, eh? :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby rabidmadman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:35 am

I miss the mechanical awesomeness of carburetors. However, I have really learned to enjoy the steady idle and easier cold starts of TBI :) I just have to start from scratch because I know absolutely nothing about TBI in contrast to the little I did know about carburetors.
Active:

Pseudo Retired:

Sold:

rabidmadman
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 307Safari » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:24 pm

theholycow wrote:
307Safari wrote:I don't even have an air pump.

But you do have a cat, right? I've got a guy on another forum telling me that my removed air pump will result in my cat clogging up.

As for the Canadialand thing...my 2002 Sierra, which I'm pretty sure was built in the frozen north, is pretty damn tough too. It doesn't even have square wheels. Good stuff, eh? :lol:

I do currently have a catalytic converter. No air pump. All they do is pump fresh air into the cat to try and bring emissions down during warm up. The theroy is that it will cause some unburned fuel in the cat to burn up, but all it really seems to do is dilute the exhaust gases. It should not cause your cat to clog up at all. If your cat clogs up, you've got other problems than your air pump

I do believe most sierras were built in oshawa, and from what I've been told they are the thing to have, as their chevy counterparts come from mexico. But that's the 88-98 generation, later ones came from oshawa, and a few plants in the US. Sierras from oshawa, and silverados from the US.

:lol: Bahaha, square wheels! I take it you're and avid watcher of south park as well?
Built TH350
307Safari

Postby theholycow » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Those are exactly my thoughts on the air pump. The clogging thing is supposedly because the unburnt fuel will burn in an uncontrolled way but I don't buy any of that. I'll take my chances, eventually I want to put in a more modern cat anyway...

Perhaps I've been known to take in an occasional episode of South Park. :wink:
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby Deathdeelr » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

I know my ride was built in Ontario but I have to look again at the decal to remember where. She just rolled 200K last week on the original 4.3L V6 and 200C 3-speed trans. In 2003 I bought a new Avalanche 2500 and was shocked to find "Made in Mexico" painted on the bottom of the leaf springs, a "Shanghai Driveshaft Company" decal on the shaft, and a decal in spanish on the left front fender under the junction box. Needless to say that truck had its initial issues but it was a good truck for what it was; basically an Escalade with a big block that could tow a house. That's long gone though...

Back to the situation at hand. To all YOU CAN TOSS THE AIR PUMP. The A.I.R. (Air Injection Reactor) system was a band aid to show the EPA that the auto manufacturers were attempting to comply to the ever increasing emissions regulations that were bull poop anyway. The system (like was already said) was meant to pump hot exhaust gas into a cold cat in an attempt to burn off the increased amount of HC's produced during a cold start. Once the cat reached light off temperature the diverter valve would close and the engine would run normally. Now the AIR pump was just another drag on the engine.

KEEP IN MIND any and all emissions testing in the US are done with the vehicle at operating temperature. The EPA discovered shortly after implementing the emissions regulations and testing of cars that ozone and HC pollution was not dropping like they thought (because cars aren't a major polluter but that's for another thread). They decided that the pollution must be caused during cold starts with rich mixtures dumping raw fuel into a cold cat and out the tailpipe. They suggested to the manufacturers that this was the case and in order to prevent fines, they came up with this AIR system.

It doesn't work because of 2 reasons. First, most catalytic converters light off over 1000 degrees at the core. Light off is the temperature at which the material in the cat will burn off everything in the exhaust stream except for nitrogen, water, and a miniscule amount of CO and HC. Exhaust gases running a rich mixture exit the cylinder head at around 1000 degrees but cool to less than 700 before exiting the exhaust manifold (this is on a cold engine - not one at operating temp). Now take that 700 degree gas, pipe it through valves and a bunch of tubing and into the core of the cat and now the temperature is less than 500 degrees. How does that help when the cat doesn't light off until 1000? It doesn't.

Second, if you take a gallon of water and pour it down a gutter you get a gallon of water out the leader on the ground. If you pour that same gallon down a gutter that has four down spouts that all flow into one leader you still only have a gallon of water on the ground. So now explain to me how piping a small amount of hot exhaust gas right out of the exhaust manifold and into the cat makes any difference as opposed to just sending it out the main exhaust pipe into the cat. It doesn't make any difference because it's the same amount of gas at the same temperature (or less). It's the illusion of compliance.

If your AIR pump goes bad, toss it. Don't waste the money replacing it.
Me hid big dings wid da hamma.
ASE Certified Master Tech
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3311846
Deathdeelr
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 307Safari » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Little update today, been looking around and got myself a transmission.

Found myself a TH350 from a 1971 Firebird. Also, found a 2400 stall converter for it, and a B&M shift kit.

Gonna go looking for a good rebuild kit, unless the internals check out on this transmission.
Built TH350
307Safari

Postby 307Safari » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:06 am

Well, so far the snow has been falling, and I've done pretty much nothing to my wagon. I have a bunch of parts and it should be ready to go by now, but work has been insane, 54 hour weeks the past month. Gotta play catchup after that fire we had at the plant.

But, I should have plenty to update in the next few weeks. I have the transmission and all the parts for the rebuild waiting to be put together, as well as all the tune up parts ready to go. I should be rebuilding the carb in the next couple weeks, and I will put up a how-to on that once I get it all done as promised earlier. Body work will have to wait for a bit, so she's gonna be ugly for a little while longer.

Next up this summer, some suspension work, get the body work done, and probably fix all the quirks that come up once it starts driving regularly again as well.
Maybe some aftermarket guages, and a stereo installation will come in the summer as well, slowly collecting parts for an old school meets new school project there.
Built TH350
307Safari

Postby 307Safari » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I know it's been a long time coming but...

IT RUNS AND DRIVES AGAIN FINALLY!!

Finally got the TH350 installed and other than a flexplate issue and the crossmember that had to be moved for the different trans mount location it fits like it was meant to be there. This car drives like a dream, so I will clean it up and start posting some pictures of the progress. Just carb and transmission tuning left to do to make it run and shift how I want it.

Oh and the quadrajet how-to is in the works, should be up soon.
Built TH350
307Safari

It's been a while Folks...

Postby 307Safari » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Progress is slow, but she's on the road. Drives like a million bucks.

That is until my insurance company sent me a letter in the mail a month later reading:

"We're sorry sir, but we are incompetent and gave you a quote for the wrong postal code, and you owe us $1550 to insure your car next month, and $780 per month after that"

Well, not along those lines exactly, but that's the jist of it.

So it's off the road again and back in storage until insurance companies in ontario stop bieng greedy and decide I'm not a drunken, car crashing, ball of immaturity and will insure me at a decent rate. This is news to me as I am none of these things. Thank god for mandatory insurance here, and private insurance companies that do whatever the hell they want.

Ugh, it's cheaper to get a ticket for no insurance once a month! Not that I'm still driving it, I do want insurance eventually.

Oh well there's lots of building time between now and a year from now.

Oh yeah Some progress pictures, It's all tuned up, I have the new TH350 trans broken in and set up. It's a shame I don't have more power, cause she's trying to squeal the tires going into 2nd, but just not enough power to do it. :P

The 307 olds running and happy as can be, rebuilt quadrajet, plugs, cap, wires, rotor, and filters. I don't think I could get anything running better for under 100 bucks.
Victim of a sagging headliner, gonna get some new fabric(not OEM of course) and reapply, wait till you see what it turns out like :wink:
Freshly wet sanded off brown over spray over what used to be the wood paneling. It's not all off yet. Will be eventually.
Nicest shot of the car, makes it look so new.
...So that's why the 200-R4 blew up! It just rolled over 247 000 before I took it off the road. No problems except for a rad that suddenly decided to leak, a little JB weld later...
And an interior shot.
Built TH350
307Safari

Next

Return to General B-Body discussion