wiper motor interchange.

Non-specific B-body discussion

wiper motor interchange.

Postby Rare one » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:39 am

Hi there.

My 78 Bel Air windshield motor has finally givin up the ghost the other day (while on a date :oops: lol) and I am wondering if a newer wiper motor off another year B body, lets say an 1988 that still retains the basic 2 speed setup will work on my early "box" B body? Also when did B cars switch to the inline rollercell style washer pump? Those pulse style piston squirt type pumps are in my opinion reduculous lol. Thanks guys.
"Save em, while we got em"
Rare one

Re: wiper motor interchange.

Postby theholycow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 am

If you're planning a trip to a self-serve junkyard, any GM wiper motor that looks remotely similar will work. You don't need to get a 2-speed motor, the intermittent one will work as a 2-speed with your 2-speed switch.

The intermittent feature comes through one separate wire. My 1980 has an intermittent motor from probably 1970 or so with my original 2-speed switch, and I think I tried one from the late 80s at one point (I was trying to do the intermittent upgrade, turned out the brand new switch I bought was defective the whole time).
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Return to General B-Body discussion