Install fuel injection fuel tank on carbureted car?

Non-specific B-body discussion

Install fuel injection fuel tank on carbureted car?

Postby theholycow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am

As I understand, the fuel tanks used for fuel injected B-bodies bolt right in to older models. Also as I understand, if I ever upgrade my car to fuel injection I'll need an appropriate tank.

My fuel tank needs to be replaced. While I'm already spending the money and doing the job, I'd love to be one step closer to fuel injection. Can I use a tank from an injected car with my carburetor? If so, what kind of hacks will be necessary?
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Re: Install fuel injection fuel tank on carbureted car?

Postby Grover » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 am

That's an interesting question. I've never tried to do this. I would assume that the difference is that the fuel pumps on the FI cars were electronic while the carbed cars were mechanical, but even that may not be the case. The 1988 Caprice V8s were carbed, and the 1989s were TBI (with the exception of those with the Olds 307, which I believe included the wagons) , so there's your cutoff point. You may want to take a look at the tanks on these cars and see what the difference is (if any). I'd suspect if your tank dimensions are the same, it shouldn't be an issue. When I get home tonight, I'll look in my manual, since the wagon was carbed and the sedan was TBI. It should tell me if there's a difference in the fuel tank. Just looking at rockauto, it appears that there are differences in the fuel tanks, but I couldn't tell you what.
1989 Caprice Classic
5.7L V8, 200R4, 2.73 gears
Grover
Actual Owner

Postby Grover » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:52 pm

According to my manual:

"A mechanical fuel pump is used with the LV2 engine. All other engines have an electric in-tank fuel pump for fuel delivery." The LV2 engine was the 307 Olds engine.

In the manual, the fuel tanks are not different in the diagrams, and there are no special procedures called out for the 307's fuel tank. The only one that's different is the one from California, which has some bullshit emissions stuff on it. That says to me that it can't be that bad. I'd say if you replaced your transmission with a manual, you probably won't have an issue with a fuel tank that is likely similar. Might help to ask a mechanic who has done something like this before just to make sure, though.
1989 Caprice Classic
Grover
Actual Owner

Postby theholycow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 am

Good thoughts.

My concern is fuel delivery hookup. I wonder if the existing fuel pickup goes in a hole that's identical to the hole where an electric fuel pump goes. If so, then this is likely to be a piece of cake...close off extra connections and otherwise install as normal. If not, I'm either fabricating some sort of adapter or making an electric high pressure fuel pump (I'm not planning TBI) play nice with my carburetor.
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby Grover » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Best I can think of is to find someone that has done the swap, or tear one out of a junkyard and see what it looks like compared to yours. If you don't want it, leave it on the ground for the next guy!
1989 Caprice Classic
Grover
Actual Owner

Postby The Stickman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:17 pm

If you find out definitively let me know. I have been wanting to do EFI for sometime. I think the hole and retaining ring is the same size on GM tank but no solid info. I have pretty much all I need except the intake. There aren't any aftermarket EFI intakes for the Olds. I had a chance to get one converted long ago and put it off as it wasn't needed right away. Now the price to convert them has gone way up.
The Stickman

Postby NotDadsW41 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I don't know why not. The biggest difference is going to be in the fuel sending unit I think. Meaning, the an EFI sending unit assembly is going to have bigger openings for the fuel output, return and probably EVAP lines than a non EFI car. Just a thought. I do of guys that have swapped the plastic tanks out of 91-96 cars into 77-90 cars. But I think they were all EFI cars as well.
CD Smalley
Site Owner/Admin
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1997 C1500

"No sacrifice or service of mine requires any other reward than that which conscience gives to every man who does his duty" - Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
NotDadsW41
Site Admin

Return to General B-Body discussion