Finally tooled on my Buick

Non-specific B-body discussion

Finally tooled on my Buick

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Installed a NOS ignition switch lock, took approx. 30 min.,last night. last month I had some almost new tires i had put on steel wheels and put them on the rear so it now has 235/60/15 cooper's at all four corners, i'd like to swap the wheels on the front just to match the rear. Still no new radiator, the last couple months have been working on my wife's van off and on. New hub bearing assemblys and cv axles on both sides,rotated the tires,oil change, fuel pressure regulator have yet to install, charged the AC last weekend,still need to bleed the brakes. On my Caprice it's aquired an annoying vibration so had new tires ($346.00) put on the front rear ones rebalanced and it's worse than it was eeerrrr! Also has a fuel leak on top of the fuel tank i'm hoping it's just the O- ring gasket, good news is it's running better than ever and the four barrel kicks hard now. I also bought my 3rd 454 for my 85 C10 project it's complete minus the starter, I hope to have it driveable by late summer but lots of time, work and money to be spent on it. I also bought some NOS trim for my 79 Malibu this week, impulse buy, but i needed it. Fixed the tailgate on my 03 Silverado, and plan to tool on my Ranger this weekend, wheel cylinder and a shifter repair kit bought a new shift knob for it also on ebay maybe if I have time i'd like to swap out my new coils on the front of the Buick too. So much wor so little time.
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Re: Finally tooled on my Buick

Postby theholycow » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 pm

235/60-15, isn't that the size that was only ever OEM on the Monte Carlo SS and there's only one model of tire available from a major brand? I wouldn't mind having those on my car, that's for sure!

For me it's so much work, so little get-up-and-go. All my vehicles need attention, and my sister's car too. Tomorrow or next Saturday I'm going to replace the wheel bearing in my sister's Infiniti. I'm amazed that you can't get the integrated hub/bearing like you can for just about any modern vehicle, and I'm also amazed at how expensive just the bearing is...even though it has to be pressed into the hub, it's not any standard bearing, it's still a proprietary thingamabobber in what looks like some kind of cartridge.
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby Grover » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Glad to hear you're having fun! I've been getting all sorts of little crap done on my car that's needed attention--replacing small bolts on the interior, fixing the windshield wiper hoses, replaced the brake pads, etc. Going to replace the fuel injector harnesses today, the old plastic broke a while back on them. Then have to change the oil on the camry. Just finished installing a wide band O2 sensor on the caprice, still have to finish welding shut the exhaust near the muffler. Never enough time!
1989 Caprice Classic
5.7L V8, 200R4, 2.73 gears
Grover
Actual Owner

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:07 pm

Cow, those are a pretty common size tire ,cooper, bfg and others make them in that size .the coopers are smaller in diameter and width than the bfg's i've noticed. Glad others are toolin it's getting that type of weather.
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Postby theholycow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Hah! My memory stinks. I googled it and I think I was thinking of 245/60-15. Tirerack lists nothing. Pep Boys has a Futura. Google gave me this Amazon link for the BFG T/A that I thought was the only one:
http://www.amazon.com/BFGoodrich-Radial ... B005P4TCUA

I wish my wife would let me put her Monte Carlo SS's wheels/BFG's on my Buick for 20,000 miles. I'd love to drive on that width of rubber, and they're going to rot long before she ever puts any wear on them...they're getting old and the rot is starting to show.
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Put my new radiator on last week, bent my AC lines a bit so they line up better but otherwise didn't mess with it. Saturday spent several hours toolin on the old Buick swapped out the deisel coil springs, put in regular V8 ones and cut 2 coils off. Needless to say it's slammed but looks good and drives good so far.Now the rear sits too high need to swap out the HD's for the caprice oem rear coils maybe it will look right then. Also bought and installed sway bar "repair kit" i call them end links, and picked up the swaybar bushings today( Wed.) Moving right alone with it, Their's a car show Saturday on the town square i'll probably drive it down there and hang for a bit. My plan is to have the new windshield in, new rear tires prob 295/50/15 cooper cobra's, new tailpipes and the AC going soon!
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Return to General B-Body discussion