Bolt thread for driveshaft safety bracket?

Non-specific B-body discussion

Bolt thread for driveshaft safety bracket?

Postby theholycow » Sun May 03, 2015 9:49 pm

Early winter, I had a transmission mount fail. The U-joint was scraping the driveshaft safety bracket (or whatever it's called) and I was halfway between work and home, 20 miles either way, so I had to just remove the bracket and baby it until I replaced the mount. It was cold, icy, snowy, and muddy and I did the minimum to get back on the road, so I didn't re-mount the bracket.

Fast forward to now. Today I found the bracket while cleaning out my trunk but the bolts have gone missing. I have a collection of GM bolts and found plenty with the right diameter, about 5/16" (but presumably metric), but the thread is wrong.

What size and thread do I need for this?
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Re: Bolt thread for driveshaft safety bracket?

Postby Grover » Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 pm

Can you supply a picture? If I know what I'm looking for, I can measure a bolt for you on my car.
1989 Caprice Classic
5.7L V8, 200R4, 2.73 gears
Grover
Actual Owner

Re: Bolt thread for driveshaft safety bracket?

Postby theholycow » Thu May 28, 2015 10:56 am

I found this photo of a Fiat, and it's similar. Mine doesn't jut up into the driveshaft tunnel though, it curves down since the tunnel isn't very deep and the driveshaft hangs lower. It's secured with two bolts on each end, which go into reinforced threaded holes in the floor pan.

Position, in case it's not easy to see here, is 90 degrees to the driveshaft, a few inches behind the transmission. Its purpose is to prevent the driveshaft from landing on the ground and pole-vaulting the car if the slip yoke somehow manages to fall out of the transmission.

What I really need is the thread, I've got the diameter.

1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Return to General B-Body discussion