Not loud enough!!!!

Header, Mufflers, X-pipes... Ask your exhaust questions in here

Not loud enough!!!!

Postby 84Parisienne » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 am

I've installed a magnaflow muffler with impala 2 1/4 exhaust as an upgrade on my Parisienne but am not getting the sound I want from this combination. It sounds STOCK!!!! Anyways, I've been told to take off the tailpipe and dump the exhaust alsmost right out of the muffler. I want to keep this as stock looking as possible but want to hear my exhaust. Was wondering how loud it would be if I removed the cat??? Has anyone done this? Will it be TOO loud???
84 Parisienne
84Parisienne

Postby Rob S » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:34 am

84P,

Can't say what it would be like on your B-body, but I also have a magnaflow on my 89 Astro. The Astro has a Chevy 305 under the hood and I originally ran it without the cat. It sounded great, but there was a droning that really bothered me at 2000 RPM. To hopefully get around this, I installed an aftermarket cat. That took care of the droning but also reduce the exhaust sound a bit. I still liked the sound, though.
A few months back the tailpipe rusted off at the outlet of the muffler-- end result was a slight increase in exhaust sound and a big return to the droning sound in the cab, but this time it's not limited to 2000 RPM, it seems to be all over the place. It drives me nuts--I've got to get that new tailpipe installed.
I'd shy away from removing the tailpipe as I don't like the idea of exhaust getting into the interior of the car (I really don't like the smell) and I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting a droning sound inside.
Getting the right exhaust sound is certainly tricky business.
Rob
1982 Olds Delta 88, now equipped with 9C1 sway bars fore and aft, a 9C1 faster ratio steering box, 9C1 rear springs, and a tired 307.
Rob S
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby bfurches » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:49 am

...now keep in mind my motor is a little different then yours....and my exhaust is FAR from stock lol....

3" y pipe comming off the headers into a 4" single all the way to the rear axle. Magnaflow 4" in and out with a turndown off the muffler before the rear axle...

Brandon Furches
bfurches@lowkeyauto.com
413-231-0854
bfurches

Postby 84Parisienne » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am

Thats a great sound but it sounds like u have a cam in there too. Eventually my motor will get done (headers, intake, cam and heads) but for now I'm working with what I got. I'll probably start with running a straight pipe to the muffler and if needed I will pull the tailpipe and run a turndown at the tire. The smell of exhaust in the cab is definatly something I want to avoid. Thanks for the advice and video.
84 Parisienne
84Parisienne

Postby brentalan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm

I have two pipes and a set of flow masters, car sounds awesome and is loud. Do get a bit of drone on the highway but not bad with music on!
brentalan
Actual Owner

Postby Deathdeelr » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am

I have a full stock Walker system except I use the Walker replacement cherry bomb style muffler. No drone, great low tone especially for the V6. The only drawback is you can hear the occaisional pop on deceleration due to the straight through design of the muffler.
Me hid big dings wid da hamma.
ASE Certified Master Tech
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3311846
Deathdeelr
Shadetree Mechanic

Re: Not loud enough!!!!

Postby 77buicklesabre » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 am

sounds good, to me it sounds loud, i plan to run true dual flow masters on my 77 lesabre not sure on what series yet, i want it loud, yet sound good at idle and at takeoff.
77buicklesabre

Return to Exhaust