Switch to full style
Get your engine related questions answered in here
Post a reply

Carburetor replacement/upgrade '86 Caprice 5.0 L LG4

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:38 pm

Hello all. I want to up replacement/upgrade the carburetor on my '86 Caprice, but I'm not really sure what is/is not compatible with the ECM system - are any of products out there compatible actually fully compatible with the ECM? I see Edelbrock has Carbs with electronic chock and EGR compatible, but does this mean they'll work with the ECM?

Also, if there is something compatible out there, what CFM should I go with (at the point the engine is stock)?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Carburetor replacement/upgrade '86 Caprice 5.0 L LG4

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 pm

This is also a Canadian model car, so - does it even have an ECM? I was looking at my VECI sticker and it looks like it doesn't have one?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:41 am

I read a while ago that Canadian cars had the M4ME carburetor and didn't use an ECM at all. I had an '88 which came with the E4ME, which is tough to replace with anything aftermarket. However, if you have the M4ME, which is the mechanical version with an electric choke, then you are good to go with pretty much any 4 barrel carburetor as your car doesn't rely on things like the TPS or MCS. If you pop off your air cleaner and see that you have that blue MCS harness or that white TPS harness, then your options are to either convert to a manual carburetor and standard HEI distributor, or to replace your E4ME with another E4ME.

My opinion is that you should convert to a manual carburetor/ignition system because I've personally hated the E4ME and the TPS/MCS gave me problems and didn't really help much.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for the info. Yeah, from my subsequent research it looks like my model has the M4ME
Post a reply