Review of Generic Transmission Dust Cover

Get your transmission questions answered in here

Review of Generic Transmission Dust Cover

Postby Grover » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:59 am

My old 200 metric dust cover is disintegrating. I wanted a new dust cover as a band aid fix until I get my new transmission in. However, the dust cover (aka, inspection cover) is no longer made for the 200 metric. I looked around and found this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 31123_0_0_

It's a generic that requires modification, but I figured it was better to get new plastic than get 25 year old plastic that has the same problems of breaking down as mine from a junkyard.

If I could give this thing zero stars, I would. It is not the same dimension as the old dust cover, requiring very careful measurement to figure out how far the starter hole and other modifications are from where the screws bolt in. One of the end bolt holes is also not at the original angle, so you have to use a countersink bit to modify the hole itself, then use a large washer to hold it in place. All in all, it is a large pain in the ass and required me 4 nights of lining up, measuring, making templates, and cutting to get it right. The plastic is thicker than on the original, so I thought it would be more robust.

Finally got it done, then got it in place. It did come with 10mm bolts, but as I said, I had to add a washer on one side. Bolted it up to the car, things worked fine the first day. Ran the car for a few days in a row, pulled down the cover, all looked well. Put it back up. Ran fine for a few more days.

Then I started noticing a rattle. Didn't know what it was, but figured I had trouble with my exhaust, which I had recently put up and down. No big deal, took the exhaust down, reattached it, rattle is still there. Checked everything. Finally, pulled the dust cover down only to find that it's rubbing against the flexplate.

The side near the starter had warped, maybe from the heat of the exhaust pipe 6" away? Not sure, but it caved in and rubs against the flexplate now, so it had to go. If you look down the front, you can see where this side of the cover warped in. Can't return it to AZ since I modified it, which of course you have to do since it's a 'universal' dust cover. I am very disappointed in this product, and don't want any of you all to waste the $35 that it is to buy this piece of trash. I'm going to have to hit the junkyard or try to somehow reinforce my cover that's falling apart, but either way, my car isn't going anywhere without the cover on it.

In short, this piece is shoddily constructed and requires a great amount of your time wasted to make fit.
1989 Caprice Classic
5.7L V8, 200R4, 2.73 gears
Grover
Actual Owner

Re: Review of Generic Transmission Dust Cover

Postby theholycow » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Good ol One Size Fits All...Badly. Or, One Size Fits None.

Why not make it out of sheet metal? It needn't be thick, and if it's not a show car then hand tools in the back yard can make a functional but less-than-attractive cover.
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Re: Review of Generic Transmission Dust Cover

Postby Grover » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:10 am

If it were a manual transmission, I would. Those are mostly flat sheets. This thing is some oddball semi-circular thing, and my sheet metal bending skills are for ****. I'd gladly use the ugliest thing ever since this is just meant to keep crap from flying up into the flexplate, but alas, none are to be found.
1989 Caprice Classic
5.7L V8, 200R4, 2.73 gears
Grover
Actual Owner

Return to Transmission