remove axle bearing

Get your differential questions answered in here

remove axle bearing

Postby edword » Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm

newbie here ... tomorrow I may have to replace the axle bearings in an '85 Impala rear end and I haven't been able to locate a slide hammer that will do the job. I don't want to remove the guts of the differential and slam the bearings out from opposite sides, using a heavy-walled pipe, because I don't think I could reassemble the diff. Maybe cut the bearings/races with a pull hacksaw? What else would work? Anyone done this, not using a slide hammer or a pipe?? Any help would be greatly appreciated ...!!
edword

Re: remove axle bearing

Postby NotDadsW41 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Most chain parts store should rent the proper tool. I'd get that. Just easier....
CD Smalley
Site Owner/Admin
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1997 C1500

"No sacrifice or service of mine requires any other reward than that which conscience gives to every man who does his duty" - Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
NotDadsW41
Site Admin

Postby edword » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks - about all we have in Victoria, Can. are Lordco, NAPA and Canadian Tire (nothing there), but I now have a hammer lined up, thanks to a shop called Key 2. I pulled both axles - pass. side was pitted too much to re-use, other was fine. I may have a donor axle sitting in a rear end from an '85 Caprice, but not sure if the different axle ratios (2.41 Impala and 2.93 Caprice) mean different splines - the Impala's number 28. Guess I'll find out tomorrow ...
edword

Postby NotDadsW41 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:31 pm

Umm... it's not the gear ratio to worry about the splines.

But I am pretty sure in 87 or 88 the # of splines did change. It's been years, but I know I had to be careful about that when I changed axles and put a limited slip in my 89.
CD Smalley
Site Owner/Admin
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1997 C1500

"No sacrifice or service of mine requires any other reward than that which conscience gives to every man who does his duty" - Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
NotDadsW41
Site Admin

Postby edword » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks, CD. It turned out that the possible donor axles were 26 spline, from a smaller ring gear diff. But my Key-2 guy suggested using an offset bearing so that the new rollers would ride next to and outside of the worn axle surface. I put the new bearing and seal combo in the freezer for a couple of hours, warmed up the axle housing, and got the bearing/seal in using a 2 lb. hammer on an end-on 2 x 4 - it went fine.

Now I see that some of my whining noise problem was probably caused by an over-tightened pinion nut ...

My previously reliable mechanic recently installed a pinion Speedy Sleeve and seal in my '85 Impala rear end, with 10-bolt posi, 8.5 " ring gear. When I asked what turning torque he set with the pinion nut he said he went by feel and had done this before, no problems. After running the car about 150 mi. a whine had developed and I thought I should also check the outside axle bearings / axle bearing surfaces.

When I pulled the axles the diff still seemed hard to turn by hand so I disconnected the driveshaft at the diff. - it still took about 100 in.lbs to turn the pinion shaft. It was then that I noticed that my mechanic had tightened the pinion nut about 3/4 turn beyond what I had set it on an earlier pinion seal change - I figured about 45 thou too much. I loosened the nut to where it took about 10 - 15 in.lbs to turn the pinion, no axles installed.

The whine can be heard with the windows down, only. Am I in trouble with this rear end now? What damage has likely been done by running 150 mi. on a grossly over-tightened pinion nut? What is your experience? ... somehow, driving with the windows closed just doesn't seem to be a solution ...Thanks for any info on this.
edword

Postby NotDadsW41 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I've driven thousands of miles with a whine in my 9C1. But that was due more to Richmond gears than anything else... Can't really offer much other advice. IIRC, setting the torque on that properly will require a new crush sleeve.
CD Smalley
Site Owner/Admin
1991 W41 #142
1995 Astro
1989 9C1
1997 C1500

NotDadsW41
Site Admin

Return to Differential