86 coupe photos

Get your painting and body work questions answered in here

86 coupe photos

Postby 86caprice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Showing off a couple of photos. Finishing up my on and off again body, paint and trim work. Five years now, the last year messing with building from scratch new quarter window moldings and trim to replace sun destroyed vinyl.
Martin
86caprice

Re: 86 coupe photos

Postby theholycow » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:07 am

Wow, that looks great!

How did you build replacement moldings/trim pieces? Mine are sun-destroyed too, along with everything else...
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby 86caprice » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Regards the sun destroyed qtr window moldings, these were built only after a huge amount of work. Did a lot of searching for replacements prior but found nothing available - seems to be a universal problem with all the B-body plastic/vinyl bits, pieces and emblems. Other quick and cheap internet discovered fixes were not fully satisfactory. I cannot go back and list everything done to make these things but will attach a series of pics to show rough start to finish.

Above - before starting project circa 2006.

Same reveal molding - 2012, much worse condition.

Sourcing raw material from junkyard. In this case, from the rear doors of an '83 Delta 88. I wanted the upper door material because of the rolled inner bead to attach the bright trim to, plus it had the near matching body side curvature of the quarter window glass.

A little cutting and trimming.

Initial concept welded and fit checked.

Outer.

Inner (with added homemade nutplates and stiffening edge beads).

Painted and cleared.

Salvage and cut aluminum trim edging. These items were a main holdup. First they were stripped of anodize, buffed and polished. Then several repeated attempts were made to apply a clear coat paint. Paint-fail-strip off-buff..repeat. Finally had to admit defeat due to poor paint materials and just leave em bare polished and shiny.

On the car - July 2013.

After - Finally got it done! Finished it up with new (not scratched) glass that's glued back in as original with 3M windshield urethane adhesive. I will probably never do this again due to the amount of labor expended.

All the other trim is factory original except the windshield trim - junkyard upgrades, stipped of anodize and polished shiny. Old front facing trim had too much sandblasting from road grit.
Martin
86caprice

Postby theholycow » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:07 am

Wow, that does seem like a lot of work! Kudos for creativity and resourcefulness. I may try to do something similar thanks to your post, but it won't be any time soon...there are plenty of other remedial repairs that take less work to do first. ;)
1980 Buick LeSabre Limited 4.1 V6 T5 5 speed manual, 38,000 miles, family heirloom. (Up to 78,000 miles now, can't believe my work is holding up!)
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby rabidmadman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Awesome job. I always took these moldings for granted because I've never had a problem with them. Really good job though.
Active:
1989 9c1 Chevrolet Caprice || L05 || 159,200 mi

Pseudo Retired:
1990 9c1 Chevrolet Caprice || L05 || 292,585 mi

Sold:
1988 Chevy Caprice Classic || LG4 || Sold 9/25/2010 with 135, 558 mi

rabidmadman
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:38 am

Great Job! Sweet coupe you have there. I use to think stock cars were boring when I was younger but now that I've reached 40 they are becoming very cool to me, I'm starting to appreciate the work money and time that goes into maintaining a original car or at least one appearing that way as much as a highly modified one. I have only one car that's mainly original in a since at least it somewhat appears to be even under the hood, I wish it would have came with the original wire hub caps they would be on it now. I'm the second owner of a 1987 low mileage Caprice Broghoam LS top of the line all power, every option except leather and everything except the antenna works great. However, the other two cars have had many modifications done, they are on this site if you want to check them out I also have a mid 80's Chevy and GMC trucks but haven't started on either of them as of yet. I also have made several parts or highly modified them on my projects it's great to say I made that when someone asks where'd you get that? Wish my caprice looked as nice as yours keep up the great work!
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Postby 86caprice » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for the complement on the coupe :) I'm the original owner, special ordered it in Dallas, TX (Graff Chevrolet) and picked it up in Nov. '85. It's been a very reliable car for all these years. Only has 296,000 miles on original 305, trans and rear end. Only significant engine work ever has been replacing the valve stem seals and intake manifold gaskets (twice). Nearly all maintenance and repair I've done myself. Just finished reviving the AC with a salvage yard compressor and conversion to R-134. I do have to fix the typical loose tilt column soon and am researching various how-to web pages, including the one on this forum from "theholycow." Looks like I need yet more tools.
Martin
86caprice

Postby theholycow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:35 am

You can get the steering wheel puller as a free loaner tool from Advance Auto Parts (or your preferred parts store). They'll want a deposit on it, but they fully refund that deposit. Harbor Freight has them too:
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-b ... 37824.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-b ... 69889.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/steering-w ... 68982.html
Pretty sure those "bolt puller" sets will do the job. No idea on the quality...you know how HF is, hit-or-miss. It's a very simple tool, you could even make it if you have appropriate scrap hardware.

The lock plate removal tool is probably not available as a loaner. It's another simple one that you might be able to make.

I should go post this in my howto thread too.
theholycow
Shadetree Mechanic

Postby hotwheelsboy28 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Guess im slow, but i have fixed all of my loose tilt columns (3) and my dad's it was a 3 hr job for me on all but one i cut 30 min off it but glad i done it saved me money and i learned how to fix them in the process. I also swapped out the ignition locks on some and turn signal switch also, i found the ac delco nos parts on ebay cheaper than you think some were the same price or cheaper than aftermarket ones, got the horns and key in switch buzzer working again. i also use you tube to help me figure out and repair things. Last week my 03 chevy truck messed up, i was cluless to what was wrong brake and abs lights were on and couldn't turn off the engine, turns out the ignition lock and ignition module both needed to be replaced cost me about $100 in parts but no repair bill.
hotwheelsboy28
Actual Owner

Return to Paint & Body